Director of Construction
Company: Greensboro Builders Association
Posted on: March 16, 2023
- Uphold the Mission, Values and Promises of Greensboro Habitat
- Represent HHGG in the Greensboro community, with Habitat
International and among other Habitat affiliates
- Promote an environment where volunteers are productively
engaged in the organization's work
- Promote an environment where staff members are strongly
encouraged to participate in faith formation activities.
- Keep informed of innovation, trends and best practices. Seek to
regularly initiate and implement creative practices and programs to
achieve greater operational efficiency and productivity.
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills, including the
ability to write and speak clearly and effectively, an aptitude for
listening to others, and a capacity to engage, inspire and
- Create an environment where safety of staff, volunteers and
homeowners is a high priority.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with CEO and COO to identify potential building
- Work with the COO to develop an overall construction plan for
each build season.
Responsible for obtaining usable blueprints for HHGG's
- Adjust building plan as needed by site and family requirements.
Maintain working drawings with adjustments.
- Develop detailed schedules for each project.
- Arrange for site plans, erosion drainage and surveys to be
done. Check with local authorities to guarantee availability of
gas, water, sewer and power. Order temporary power and restrooms
for build sites.
- Apply for permits. Work with city on any additional
- Be familiar with HFHI requirements and suggestions regarding
- Advocate for accessible and energy-efficient housing and
explore new construction methods and new building materials.
- Supervise professional, AmeriCorps and volunteer construction
- Identify, recruit, train and support construction
- Provide training opportunities for volunteer construction
- Develop and maintain an overall plan for construction and lead
weekly construction meetings.
- Work with HHGG staff to ensure that volunteers and families are
productively involved in the construction process.
- Work closely with the Volunteer Coordinator to apprise him/her
of volunteer and skill needs and cooperate with scheduling of
- Attend special events and conferences as appropriate.
- Work with leaders on safety program and assure staff or
volunteer leader has licensure or credentials needed for specific
duties (when required).
- Familiar with OSHA Standards and Regulations and ensure active
participation on job sites.
- Hire and oversee contracts and subs and insure timely and
- Order inspections, and insure that houses are built to
- Use in-kind material and labor when possible.
- Provide updates regarding estimated completion dates.
- Responsible for projects until 100% complete and sold to
- Responsible for warranty work including sub work, improper
drainage, and appliances.
- Oversee final walk through with family, assure punch lists are
Materials and Labor Procurement
- Ensure timely clear communication with contractors and vendors.
Develop working relationships.
- Responsible for ordering correct quantity and having materials
delivered on time.
- Maintain connections to suppliers.
- Negotiate prices and timelines for sub-contracted labor and
materials, use bidding process when applicable and oversee quality
- Be prepared to purchase supplies for inventory when on
- Organize, inventory and maintain the affiliates trailers and
Management of Information
- Develop and maintain purchase order system and approve all
construction-related invoices (and code appropriately).
- Record and estimate value of in-kind gifts
- Document Processes and Procedures as needed for improvement to
- Provide Monthly Board Reports and attend monthly building
- Work with CEO/CFO to develop long term building, development
and major project plans; collaborate and coordinate with relevant
city departments as needed.
- Accountable for planning, monitoring and directing the
department's annual plan and budget administration in line with the
Education and/or Work Experience Requirements:
- College degree or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of five years of residential or commercial construction
- Strong organizational and follow-up skills.
- Good communication skills and ability to work well with people
- Self-Motivated and Independent
- Knowledge of affordable housing and/or social service issues
and concerns. Knowledge about Habitat for Humanity a plus.
- MUST be adept with all stages of residential construction
- Current contractor's license preferred or ability to obtain in
- Budgeting experience with a developed understanding of
financial management, cash flow and cost analysis.
- Experience working with governmental officials.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; excellent
organizational skills; strong team-building skills and ability to
work with diverse groups; working knowledge of residential
construction, site development, building code requirements and
- Computer literacy and working knowledge of office software
applications and programs. Awareness of design and construction
project management software programs.
- Physical requirements: Ability to access all areas of
construction sites, lots, and large tracts of land. Ability to work
in unconditioned spaces.
Keywords: Greensboro Builders Association, Greensboro , Director of Construction, Professions , Greensboro, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...