Experienced RN/Registered Nurse - Code Team - Duke Life Flight - Durham, NC
Company: Duke Health
Posted on: November 25, 2022
Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the
best in the United States and is known around the world for its
outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University
Hospital has 957 inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic
and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma
center; a major surgery suite containing 51 operating rooms; an
endo-surgery center; an Ambulatory Surgery Center with nine
operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional
radiology area. In fiscal year 2018, Duke University Hospital
admitted 42,916 patients and had 1,085,740 outpatient visits in
fiscal year 2017. - U.S News & World Report named Duke University
Hospital #1 in North Carolina and #1 in the Raleigh-Durham area in
2018-19. - Duke University Hospital is ranked in the top 20
nationally for seven adult specialties, including cardiology and
heart surgery, nephrology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology,
rheumatology, and urology. - In addition to its hospitals, Duke
Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of
outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent
care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery
centers. - Duke Nursing Highlights: -
- Duke University Health System is designated as a Magnet
- Nurses from each hospital are consistently recognized each year
as North Carolina's Great 100 Nurses.
- Duke University Health System was awarded the American Board of
Nursing Specialties Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy for
being strong advocates of specialty nursing certification.
- Duke University Health System has 6000 + registered nurses
- Quality of Life: Living in the Triangle!
- Relocation Assistance! -Experienced RN/Registered Nurse - Code
Team - Duke Life Flight - Durham, NC -***Experience RNs joining the
Duke Health System after 10/1/22, are eligible for a $15000 sign on
bonus*** -The Life Flight Code Team Nurse will perform a variety of
activities within their scope of practice to include the delivery
of high quality emergency care as a rapid response team tending to
ill or injured persons of all ages in designated areas of the DUH
campus. This rapid response utilizes an advanced life support (ALS)
care delivery model to stabilize, resuscitate or administer care
needed within the scope of the ALS Emergency Nurse. -Job
As an Experience RN/Clinical Nurse with Duke University Health
System, you will make providing service your priority while caring
for the whole person in a patient-centered atmosphere. The
Experience RN/Clinical Nurse (RN) is responsible for providing and
supervising direct and indirect total nursing care
responsibilities. Utilizing the nursing process (assessing,
planning, implementing and evaluating) in achieving the goals of
the nursing department. Plan and provide advanced and/or
specialized nursing care for patients in guided by DUHS
Professional Practice model participate in the clinical ladder
program, educational activities, departmental committees, research
projects or other health related projects as assigned. Provide
nursing services to patients and families in accordance with the
scope of the RN as defined by the North Carolina Board of Nursing.
Adheres to all rules and regulations of all applicable local, state
and federal agencies and accrediting bodies. Actively participates
in outstanding customer service and accepts responsibility in
maintaining relationships that are equally respectful to all.
-Responsibilities & Duties:
- Obtain pertinent history and perform a physical examination
based on comprehensive knowledge, advanced skills and sound
- Obtain historical data from an environmental survey, attending
medical personnel, patient or significant other, and existing
- Complete a systematic, rapid primary assessment and a
prioritized secondary survey.
- Analyze and assess available diagnostic data.
- Revise plan of care as new information becomes available.
- Provide an emergency level of care environment with qualified
personnel capable of initiating advanced skills in order to
stabilize and resuscitate ill or injured adult and pediatric
patient populations. Initiate appropriate, timely interventions,
per program protocols, in a priority sequence.
- Utilize Advanced Skills prioritizing the patient's needs based
on potential or actual needs. (i.e. needle decompression of tension
pneumothoraces and intraosseous line insertion).
- Proficient and competent use of advanced and basic life support
equipment. - i.e. noninvasive blood pressure monitor, pulse
oximetry, EKG monitor / defibrillator, external pacemaker, portable
suction and airway adjuncts. Communicate essential information to
all appropriate members of the healthcare team. Evaluate patient
progress, analyze data, and modify the planning and implementation
of care based on patient response throughout the transfer process.
Maintain contact with and utilize Medical Control to deviate from
- Provide comfort and optimal physiological and psychological
support in a changing environment.
- Provide protection and adapt patient care in response to
changing environmental conditions. (i.e. noise, precipitation,
wind, heat, cold and humidity). Assess the immediate emotional
status of the patient and anticipate changes needed in the plan of
care. Provide patient and family with information regarding
transport process. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - -
- Communicate between referring unit staff and receiving
healthcare professionals to ensure continuity of care where
applicable. Obtain report from referring unit personnel where
applicable. Document patient assessment, re-assessment and care
provided on the electronic medical record system utilized by Duke
Life Flight (Zoll - emsCHARTS). Utilize appropriate radio
procedures to communicate during movement of patient or team.
- Act as a liaison between patients, families, referring
healthcare professionals and DUHS staff.
- Plan, organize and maintain equipment and supplies for use
before, during and after emergency response calls. Perform
inventory of code team supplies / equipment every shift with
restocking after each call is complete. Maintain equipment repair
- Provide and maintain a safe environment for fellow code team
members, the patients, assisting agencies, and ancillary personnel.
- Usage of all safety equipment (i.e. fire extinguishers)
- General DUH campus procedures, emergency codes and
- Environmental survival
- Keep proficient with managing crowds, critical thinking and
- Preparation and loading of the patient where applicable
- All persons and equipment are secured at all times
- Stay proficient in use of all Code Team emergency equipment
(i.e. Stryker stretchers and LUCAS device, response packs, portable
suction, monitor/defibrillator, glucometer, medications) -Work
Hours & Shifts:
Full Time: - 3 - 12 hour shifts (36 hrs/week)Rotating Shifts: -7a -
7p or 7p - 7a
Location: -Duke University Hospital Campus -Knowledge, Skills,
Education, and Experience Preferred:
- A minimum of two years current Emergency Department nursing
experience as a registered nurse (RN). Additional pre-hospital
experience in a Paramedic or EMT role preferred
- Physically fit to allow for functional movement in confined
spaces encountered on DUH campus when responding to emergency
- Current certification in BLS, ACLS, PALS
- Successful completion of Code Team Response nurse
- CBO to be completed within 1 year of hire date
- -Demonstrated excellent communication and interpersonal
- Ability to work in a diverse, autonomous environment.
-Licensure, Certification or Registration Required:
- Graduation from an accredited Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (or
higher), Associate's Degree in Nursing or Nursing Diploma program
- All registered nurses without a Bachelor's degree in Nursing
(or higher) will be required to enroll in an appropriate BSN
program within two years of their start date and to complete the
program within five years of their start date
- Current registration with North Carolina State Board of Nursing
as a registered professional nurse OR current compact RN licensure
to practice in the state of North Carolina required.
- BLS (or higher) certification required.
- Professional specialty certification (preferred) -NRP, ITLS,
PHTLS, BTLS, TNCC or TPATC. - - Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal
Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity
without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender,
gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national
origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
- Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration,
innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success
depends on the robust exchange of ideas-an exchange that is best
when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and
experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential
that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the
contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices
are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to
uphold these values. - Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain
jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may
include essentialjob functions that require specific physical
and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for
requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each
hiring department. -
Keywords: Duke Health, Greensboro , Experienced RN/Registered Nurse - Code Team - Duke Life Flight - Durham, NC, Other , Liberty, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!