Senior Flight Test Instrumentation Engineer
Company: Honda North America
Posted on: March 16, 2023
Honda Aircraft Company Description General Summary:
The Flight Test Instrumentation Lead Engineer position is responsible for the design, development,
and coordination of equipment to support Flight Test operations. The Lead Engineer is heavily
involved in the electrical design as pertains to the mechanical installations, system programming, and
the data acquisition & data management of the flight test articles.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Primary duties include:
1. Collects the design requirements, and develops the system level designs, engineering drawings
& workflows to implement those designs. Evaluates alternatives including cost and risk,
supportability and performs analyses for total systems. Designs will consist of equipment,
modifications, and test installations, to meet the design requirements and to support Experimental
Flight Test operations schedules. Typical test equipment and installations include; wiring
bundles, data racks and signal acquisition equipment, measurement transducers (acceleration,
pressure, temperature, displacement, etc.), ballast, pitot/static systems, cockpit displays,
electrical load banks, and antennas.
2. Designs the electrical wiring interfaces for the installations supporting Flight Test Instrumentation.
Designs test fixtures and calibration methods, to support Flight Test Instrumentation.
3. Generates and ensures the engineering drawings and related documents meet requirements for
soundness, efficiency, and simplicity in design; completeness, clarity, and dimensional accuracy;
correctness of materials and processes; conformity to design/drafting standards, design
specifications, and practicability; and economy of fabrication, assembly, and installation.
4. Generates documentation for Vendor Requirements, SOW's, and Functional Checkout
5. Interface with Flight Operations and Aircraft Coordination teams, as well as Cognizant
Engineering to ensure design requirements are satisfied.
6. Coordinates with the mechanical design, and initiates procurement for test equipment
7. Manages test article data system configurations, and directs activities for calibrations & test
8. Manages & directs Ground Station Data Systems coordination with test asset configurations.
9. Manages & directs routine calibrations of test assets, as well as calibration standards & lab
10. Integrates external 3rd party test equipment into the Experimental Flight Test aircraft, coordinating
any electrical and mechanical interfaces as assigned.
11. Generates prototype / fabrication orders. Supports fabrication, installation, and functional
checkout of test equipment.
12. Resolves issues related to design, documentation, procurement, fabrication, and installation.
13. Coordinates designs and procurement for test equipment installations.
14. Monitors installation progress for support of schedule.
15. Reports progress of multiple activities, as well as issues & upcoming needs
Secondary duties include:
1. Promote safety culture inside the flight operations and associated organizations.
2. Coordinates aircraft configuration with the Aircraft Coordination & Aircraft Technician teams to
support operational testing out of the Greensboro facility as well as off-site testing as required.
3. Mentors & Trains junior staff & technicians in methods & procedures.
4. Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications Education, Work Experience, Certification and/or Licensure:
1. Bachelors' degree in Electrical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Engineering Technology,
other related field preferred.
2. 5+ years of related experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Proficiency in 2D electrical wiring drawings. AutoCAD and CATIA V5 strongly preferred. PLM
system experience required, TeamCenter strongly preferred.
2. Proficiency with ACRA KAM-500 system hardware, kWorkbench / DAS Studio, Symvionics IADS,
or similar systems.
3. Strong Microsoft Access skills required, Oracle interface strongly preferred.
4. Strong Microsoft Office Suites (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) strongly preferred.
5. Strong computer operating systems skills.
6. Strong drive to follow tasks to completion.
7. Strong awareness of schedule driven requirements.
8. Strong interpersonal skills.
9. Strong analytical skills.
10. Strong oral and written communication skills.
11. Ability to work independently and make sound Engineering Design decisions to present for
coordination with other Instrumentation Team members.
12. Experience with data acquisition systems, Analog to Digital conversion, and digital data
communication structures, as well as a wide range of instrumentation sensors, helpful.
13. Experience with FAA regulations helpful.
14. Experience with FCC regulations & licensing helpful.
1. Incumbents may be routinely exposed to equipment operational noise heat-cold-dust, and/or
aircraft equipment, parts, or fuel odors.
2. Incumbents may be required to stand, sit, squat, walk, bend, move, reach, or stretch for
prolonged time periods with no restrictions, as required by job duties.
3. Work in a safe and professional manner while adhering to all regulatory requirements (FAA,
OSHA, DOT, EPA, State, and Federal regulations, etc.).
4. Read, hear, speak, and see with no restrictions, as required by job duties.
5. Comprehend and adhere to management directions and/or safety instructions with no restrictions.
6. Effectively communicate in Business English language.
7. Pull, push, carry, lift, or move items up to 10 lbs. throughout the work shift without assistance, as
required by job duties.
8. Pull, push, carry, lift or move materials/people/items/equipment weighing up to 50lbs or more
during the work shift, with the use of Company provided "reach assistance technology" or
"movement assist technology" (fork-lifts, pallet jacks, pulleys, dolly's, robotics reach equipment,
people movers etc.), as required by job duties.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and scope of work being performed by people assigned to this
classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, and responsibilities required of personnel so
classified. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice. This document does not constitute a
contract between the incumbent and Honda Aircraft Company. (FLSA: Exempt) 01/07/13
Honda Aircraft Company Description General Summary:
Keywords: Honda North America, Greensboro , Senior Flight Test Instrumentation Engineer, Engineering , Greensboro, North Carolina
here to apply!