Flight Test Instrumentation Engineer
Company: American Honda Motor Co Inc
Posted on: March 16, 2023
The Flight Test Instrumentation Design Engineer position is
responsible for the design, development, and coordination equipment
to support Flight Test operations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collects the design requirements, and develops the system level
designs, engineering drawings & workflows to implement those
designs. Evaluates alternatives including cost and risk,
supportability and performs analysis for total systems. Designs
will consist of equipment modifications, and test installations, to
meet the design requirements and to support Experimental Flight
Test operations schedules. Typical test equipment and installations
include: wiring bundles, data racks and signal acquisition
equipment, measurement transducers (acceleration, pressure,
temperature, displacement, etc.), ballast, pitot.static systems,
cockpit displays, electrical load banks, and antennas.
- Designs the electrical wiring interfaces for the installations
supporting Flight Test Instrumentation. Designs test fixtures and
calibration methods, to support Flight Test
- Generates and ensures the engineering drawings and related
documents meet requirements for soundness, efficiency, and
simplicity in design; completeness, clarify, and dimensional
accuracy; correctness of materials and processes; conformity to
design/drafting standards, design specifications, and
practicability; and economy of fabrication, assembly, and
- Generates documentation for Vendor Requirements, SOW's, and
Fucntional Checkout procedures.
- Interface with Flight Operations and Airraft Coordination
teams, as well as Cognizant Engineering to ensure design
requirements are satisfied.
- Coordinates with the mechanical design, and initiates
procurement for test equipment installations.
- Integrates external third party test equipment into the
Experiemental Flight Test aircraft, coordinating any electrical and
mechanical interfaces as assigned.
- Generates prototype/fabrication orders, supports fabrication,
installation, and functional checkout of test equipment.
- Resolves issues related to design, documentation, procureement,
fabrication, and installation.
- Coordinates designs and procurement for test equipment
- Monitors installation progress for support of schedule.
Secondary duties include:
- Promote safety culture inside the flight oeprations and
- Coordinates aircraft configuration with the Ground Station Data
Systems and the Aircraft Coordination team to support operational
testing out of the Greensboro facility as well as off-site testing
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education, Work Experience, Certification and/or Licensure:
- Bachelors' degree in Aerospace Engineering, Electrical
Engineering, Engineering Technology other related field
- 5+ years of directly related experience, or 1+ year with
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficiency in 2D electrical wiring drawings. Auto CAD and
CATIA V5 strongly preferred. PLM system experience required,
TeamCenter strongly preferred.
- Strong Microsoft Office Suites (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Strong computer operating systems skills.
- Strong drive to follow tasks to completion.
- Strong awareness of schedule driven requirements.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and make sound Engineering Design
decisions to present for coordination with other Instrumentation
- Experience with data acquisition systems, Analong to Digital
conversion, and digital data communication structures, as well as a
wide range of instrumentation sensors will be a great aid.
- Experience with FAA regulations will be a great aid.
- Incumbents may be routinely exposed to equipment operational
noise heat-cold-dust, and/or aircraft equipment, parts, or fuel
- Incumbents may be required to stand, sit, squat, walk, bend,
move, reach, or stretch for prolonged time periods with no
restrictions, as required by job duties.
- Work in a safe and professional manner while adhering to all
regulatory requirements (FAA, OSHA, DOT, EPA, State, and Federal
- Read, hear, speak, and see with no restrictions, as required by
- Comprehend and adhere to management directions and/or safety
instructions with no restrictions.
- Effectively communicate in Business English language.
- Pull, push, carry, lift, or move items up to 10 lbs. throughout
the work shift without assistance, as required by job
- Pull, push, carry, lift or move
materials/people/items/equipment weighing up to 50lbs or more
during the work shift, with the use of Company provided "reach
assistance technology" or "movement assist technology" (fork-lifts,
pallet jacks, pulleys, dolly's, robotics reach equipment, people
movers etc.), as required by job duties.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature
and scope of work being performed by people assigned to this
classification. They are not intended to be construed as an
exhaustive list of all duties, skills, and responsibilities
required of personnel so classified. Duties, responsibilities, and
activities may change at any time with or without notice. This
document does not constitute a contract between the incumbent and
Honda Aircraft Company. (FLSA: Exempt) 01/07/13
Keywords: American Honda Motor Co Inc, Greensboro , Flight Test Instrumentation Engineer, Engineering , Greensboro, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...